10 comments for “Informal poll

1. November 11, 2012 at 12:54 am

In all its pulpy glory, “Terrible Things” has my vote.

• Michael
      November 11, 2012 at 8:27 am

Cheers, Adam! And thanks for the kind words re: the journal on your blog.

2. November 11, 2012 at 5:28 am

Bedtime Stories for Yasmin. I must have read it five or six times and I still find it fascinating.

• Michael
      November 11, 2012 at 8:26 am

Thanks, Laura! Rob’s a terrific writer, to be sure.

3. Virginia
    November 12, 2012 at 3:06 pm

This was such a strong issue…hard to choose just one, so I am not going to! Bedtime Stories for Yasmin and We Don’t Keep in Touch Anymore.

• Michael
      November 12, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Thanks for the response, Virginia!

4. Kimberly
    November 17, 2012 at 10:56 am

“Terrible Things”–I’ve re-read it several times already!!

• Michael
      November 17, 2012 at 11:09 am

Oh, thanks, Kimberly. Yes, that one seems to have struck a chord.

5. December 6, 2012 at 11:59 pm

I think it was certainly “Bedtime Stories for Yasmin.” I like to read scary stories out loud to my wife (thank goodness for the cold!), and this one was perfect. The internal pacing through Shearman’s sentence structure and (towards the end) punctuation really carried the story along. If you think of a story like sheet music, this one was easy to sight read and feel like a virtuoso. Not to mention there was lots of delightfully restrained creepiness and subtle humor that didn’t draw attention to itself, but was definitely present in an aural presentation. All in all, it was wonderfully creepy and built to a well-earned crescendo of final, yet unresolved, creepiness.

By contrast, maybe I had hyped “Terrible Things” up too much after reading this, but the long paragraphs and shifts in narrative voice made it very difficult to pick through when doing it for the first time out loud.

All in all, however, this is another great collection and I can”t wait for more. Also, I feel terrible for disagreeing with Adam Golaski (since The Animator’s House is my recent high-water mark), although Laura Mauro’s on my side.

• Michael